Mao Asada Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Ice Queen forum, home of four-time Japan National Champion, two-time World Champion, and 2010 Olympic Silver Medalist, Mao Asada. Take a look around, and stay tuned for the latest Mao Asada news.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Quirky and eccentric on the ice, Weir is dead serious about taking on the world

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rezev
Ice Queen Administrator
Ice Queen  Administrator
Rezev

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Quirky and eccentric on the ice, Weir is dead serious about taking on the world Empty
PostSubject: Quirky and eccentric on the ice, Weir is dead serious about taking on the world   Quirky and eccentric on the ice, Weir is dead serious about taking on the world EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:48 pm

- by Nancy Armour, The Canadian Press

Quirky and eccentric on the ice, Weir is dead serious about taking on the world Mhzzhv

Colourful. Eccentric. Talented. Artistic. Quirky. Entertaining. Outrageous.
All of those adjectives (and about a hundred others) have been used to describe Johnny Weir. The three-time U.S. champion and 2008 world bronze medallist is figure skating's most oversized personality, the court jester who commands everyone's attention.

Make no mistake, though, Weir is nobody's fool.

When the U.S. championships begin this week in Spokane, Wash., Weir is determined to prove that not only is he still the best in his country, he can contend for gold at the Vancouver Olympics.

"I don't want to be that skater that people just kind of keep around for whatever reason. I want to be a champion," Weir said. "That lights me every day to go into practice, to work harder, to try harder, to be more creative, to kill myself on a daily basis so I can be prepared never to fall into mediocrity."
For much of the last decade, Weir was a fixture atop both the U.S. and world scenes. One of the most lyrical, expressive skaters around, he can make basic crossovers look artistic, and his insights and antics - who else would liken a costume to a "Care Bear on acid" - have given the sport some badly needed pizazz in the post-Michelle Kwan era.

But Weir found himself at a crossroads last year. His risky decision to travel to South Korea for a show a month before the U.S. championships resulted in a severe case of the flu that left him weakened and undertrained, and his performances at nationals were dismal. He finished a distant fifth, but hoped his impressive resume would be enough to persuade U.S. Figure Skating officials to put him on the world team, anyway.

They didn't.

For the first time since 2003, Weir found himself on the sidelines for a world championships. With worlds in his own country, no less.

"Not competing in the world championships last year was a terrible thing for my career, and I was so disappointed I wasn't able to compete in Los Angeles," he said. "But at the same time, I think it was very good for me. It kind of knocked me off the cloud I'd been riding, and made me pull myself back up again."

Not that it happened right away. Weir admits he spent a few months moping around, even quitting for a few weeks. But a heart-to-heart with his mother made him realize he didn't want to squander what could be his last chance at an Olympic medal.

"She said, 'You're going to regret this. You're going to be my age one day, and you're going to regret every second of sitting here feeling sorry for yourself,' " Weir recalled. "I said, 'I haven't worked this hard for this long to let myself crumble and kind of disappear.' "

Since then, the 25-year-old has committed himself with a vengeance. Aside from a New Year's Eve party at a Russian restaurant in New York City, he rarely goes out. He travelled to Chicago twice in September for the U.S. Olympic Committee media summit and a show, but that's about the extent of his non-competition globe-trotting. He doesn't even see his family that often, sticking to a Spartan schedule that has him either at the rink or home.

His programs were done by respected choreographer David Wilson, who also is responsible for world champion Kim Yu-na's programs, and last week he invited monitors from U.S. Figure Skating to the rink to see his progress.

"I didn't want to take any chances this year," he said. "I wanted them to see I was prepared and healthy and ready, and I think it was great to show them that."
Of course, just because he's taking his training seriously doesn't mean Weir is taking himself (too) seriously.

He's redesigned his costume for his "Fallen Angel" free skate so some of the detailing stands out more. And he's added fur.

He's the subject of a reality series, "Be Good Johnny Weir," which premieres Jan. 18 on the Sundance Channel. The eight-part series, which chronicles the ups and downs of an elite athlete, is a follow-up to this summer's "Pop Star on Ice" documentary.
Weir said the commercial for the show pokes fun at some of his most infamous moments, featuring, among other things, him popping out of a Faberge egg and wearing heels.

"The show's insane," Weir said, laughing. "You get to see really what my life is like behind the scenes."

The show ends with the national championships and, Weir hopes, a spot on his second Olympic team.

Weir's season started slowly, with a disappointing performance at the Rostelecom Cup in Russia, one of his favourite countries. He rebounded with a silver medal at NHK Trophy, which qualified him for the Grand Prix final.
"I knew that I had to show myself," Weir said. "If you have one bad competition, it's one thing.

"But two in a row like I'd had, the national championships and then the Rostelecom Cup, if I had a third, I'd be completely written off for the season. I may as well have just stopped there."

Weir went on to win the bronze medal at the Grand Prix final, joining winner Evan Lysacek, the world champion and fellow American, on the podium. Jeremy Abbott was fourth.

The three figure to be the main contenders again at the national event, which also serve as the Olympic trials. The men's competition begins Friday with the short program, followed Sunday by the free skate.

Lysacek is considered the heavy favourite. No surprise considering his win at worlds in March was the first by a U.S. man since Todd Eldredge In 1996, and he's followed up with wins at the Grand Prix final and Skate America. Abbott gets plenty of attention, too, as the defending champion.

That leaves Weir as somewhat of a, dare we say it, afterthought.

"In no way do I feel like I stopped commanding the spotlight. I think I travel with one," he said, laughing.

But, Weir pointed out, some of his best results have come when people haven't expected much. He won his first national title in 2004, a year after withdrawing during his free skate. His spectacular 2008 duel with Lysacek that ended with them tied (Lysacek won the title on a tiebreak) came a season after he lost his title to Lysacek with a lacklustre performance.

"It's very cliche to actually say this, but the main competitor for me is myself at this point," Weir said. "I think the only thing that can get in my way right now is my mind and my own brain. If I can step over that, I don't see a problem with anyone.
"I think I can compete with any of these boys."
Back to top Go down
http://maoasada.heavenforum.com

Page 1 of 1