Mao Asada Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Ice Queen forum, home of four-time Japan National Champion, two-time World Champion, and 2010 Olympic Silver Medalist, Mao Asada. Take a look around, and stay tuned for the latest Mao Asada news.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Heeeere's Johnny! Weir's Reality Show Making Debut

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rezev
Ice Queen Administrator
Ice Queen  Administrator
Rezev

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Heeeere's Johnny! Weir's Reality Show Making Debut Empty
PostSubject: Heeeere's Johnny! Weir's Reality Show Making Debut   Heeeere's Johnny! Weir's Reality Show Making Debut EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 3:05 pm

- by Nancy Armour, ABC/ESPN Sports

Heeeere's Johnny! Weir's Reality Show Making Debut 4iivq9

Johnny Weir shows off his medal for third place during the men's free skate at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Spokane, Wash., Sunday, Jan. 17, 2010. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
(AP)

Those who can't get enough of Johnny Weir and his antics, don't worry. He's not going to leave you hanging until the Vancouver Olympics.

Weir's reality show, "Be Good Johnny Weir" premieres Monday night on the Sundance Channel. The eight-part series, which chronicles the ups and downs of an elite athlete, is a follow-up to this summer's "Pop Star on Ice" documentary.

"It's about me," Weir said, a touch incredulous, when asked why people should watch it. "No, it's a real athlete show. It's not a fluff piece, nothing is pre-scripted. ... It's the real life of what it takes to be a figure skater."

And a fashionista and a costume designer and a guy who gives skating color (as if it needed any more).

It's Weir's skating ability that first drew him attention. He's one of the most lyrical and expressive skaters around, someone who can make simple crossovers look like a work of art, and he has been a fixture on the national and international scene for the better part of the decade. He won three straight titles from 2004-06, and was the world bronze medalist in 2008.

But it's his "personality" that has given him cult status. He says whatever is on his mind, regardless of how controversial or quirky it might be. He has likened his costumes to "a Care Bear on acid" and "an icicle on coke," and he attributed his rough free skate at the Turin Olympics to not feeling his "aura. Inside I was black."

His costumes are often, to put it politely, garish. Though the one he had Sunday, which was redesigned after last month's Grand Prix final, was surprisingly subdued. Sure, there sparkles and a puff of white fur on the left shoulder — fox, to be exact — but there was no bird, no laces, not even very much mesh.

"I thought it was lovely," Weir said. "It was fluffy. I looked very special. I looked like I dressed up for this event, which is what I wanted."

Weir was then asked if he's hoping to get a spot on Bravo's "Launch My Line" show.
Back to top Go down
http://maoasada.heavenforum.com

Page 1 of 1