Mao Asada Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Ice Queen forum, home of four-time Japan National Champion, two-time World Champion, and 2010 Olympic Silver Medalist, Mao Asada. Take a look around, and stay tuned for the latest Mao Asada news.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Asada books ticket to worlds with 2nd at national skating championships

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rezev
Ice Queen Administrator
Ice Queen  Administrator
Rezev

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Asada books ticket to worlds with 2nd at national skating championships  Empty
PostSubject: Asada books ticket to worlds with 2nd at national skating championships    Asada books ticket to worlds with 2nd at national skating championships  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Asada books ticket to worlds with 2nd at national skating championships  2irkztf

- Source, The Mainichi Daily News

NAGANO -- After a run of poor results earlier this season Mao Asada took second place in the All-Japan Figure Skating Championships here on Dec. 26, narrowly winning a ticket to next year's world championships.

Asada finally broke out of her slump at the national championships held in Nagano's Big Hat sports arena, which put a smile back on the 20-year-old star for the first time in months. Though Asada finished second behind Miki Ando in the free skating segment and missed her fifth consecutive title in the event, she managed to be selected for the World Figure Skating Championships to be held in Tokyo in March.

After settling for silver at the Vancouver Olympics, Asada struggled to find a new coach, and it was already September when she started practicing under the direction of her current coach Nobuo Sato, 68. During practice, Sato, who was named to "The World Figure Skating Hall of Fame" this year, found Asada's weakness in maintaining her balance when picking up speed, and the two worked together to stabilize her center of gravity.

"Since I began taking lessons from my coach, I've been having sore muscles," Asada told reporters around that time. Apparently it was not an easy restart for her.

While some skaters have been sidelined by injuries this season, including Vancouver gold medalist Kim Yu-na of South Korea, Asada took part in the NHK Trophy competition held at her home arena in Nagoya in October. However, she missed several jumps and finished eighth at the event, which was her worst result in senior competition. Asada's slump led some to point out that her participation in the event may have been "too early."

For Asada, who also ended up fifth in the November competition in France, the national championships was her last chance to qualify for the world championships. Despite the anxiety among people around her and fans about possible mistakes in her performance, Asada successfully landed a triple axel in the short program on Dec. 25. Instead of settling for a double axel as a safer option, Asada made her own decision to take on the challenge and succeeded.

In the free skating, Asada also boldly landed a triple axel, which was deemed to have lacked rotation, and even after finishing her performance, she kept looking up in the air for seconds while holding her final pose.

"I'm relieved that I was able to perform to my best right now," Asada said after her performance.

Meanwhile, Sato explained that Asada is "still at the entrance" of the process for improvement, but praised the skater for her high capability, saying, "I didn't think she would make it this far. I'm impressed."

Asada is aiming for her second straight victory at the March world championships.

"I can get stronger," she vowed

Back to top Go down
http://maoasada.heavenforum.com
Bill508
Bill508

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Asada books ticket to worlds with 2nd at national skating championships    Asada books ticket to worlds with 2nd at national skating championships  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 1:06 pm

Mao will get stronger!!! Its great to see that beautiful face with a big smile on it once again. When tears turn to smiles Mao fans are happy. "Happy days are here again". Fingers crossed for Mao & Miki at Worlds. Onward to Tokyo.
Back to top Go down
patknowsbest
patknowsbest

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Asada books ticket to worlds with 2nd at national skating championships    Asada books ticket to worlds with 2nd at national skating championships  EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 8:13 am

i was actually so thrilled to see her finally enjoy the ice and get a grip of her new coach. it mad me so happy to finally see her smile! words could not explain how happy i am for her. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Asada books ticket to worlds with 2nd at national skating championships    Asada books ticket to worlds with 2nd at national skating championships  Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1